Gift Guide-Buying independently

Yak:Emma


First things first...Happy Birthday to the Babble and Yak Blog! well perhaps not quite to the day, but the month of November is where we started it.  I cant believe how quickly the time goes.  With that in mind, we all know whats coming....Christmas! 

Christmas is for me, and probably a lot of you, a very special time of year.  I go home home and so do all of my brothers, I see friends and family and catch up on sleep! One part that I really enjoy (except for, for my dad) is buying gifts for people.  I try and keep a list throughout the year of places I have seen things that I think people would like, comments that friends and family have mentioned in passing or just general points I have noticed that could help come December.  


I attend a number of shows throughout the year which helps find a number of new makers and new potential gifts (sometimes though these turn out to be gifts for me! I love a mug...more of that later)  Being a maker myself, the support I get from people close to me, and the general public make ALL of the difference.  I dont want you to think that I am preaching, or promoting you do all your Christmas shopping at fairs or from market places like Etsy, for a lot of people, including myself its not practical or financially possible.  Shopping from a independent shop or maker shouldn't be just a Christmas thing, but while we are heading into that season, could you just look and see if you could get one gift in this way?    

The 25th-29th November is Indie week, which includes Indie Friday.  This week is all about celebrating artists, makers, independent shops, events and small business'.  Head over to Instagram and other social medias getting to know new and familiar makers.  Jess and I will be taking part using prompts to show new works and products and maybe share a bit more about ourselves.  If you would like to find out more, or join in then follow Sarah Hamilton prints and the Just a card campaign which are  beautifully illustrated by Rosie Johnson.  

A way to help, that is free to do, is to share your purchases, loves and gifts on social media and crediting the maker.  All it takes is an @ -using the @ gives credit where the credit is due, it helps followers both new and old see products and features that they might have missed.  

Emma's: Yaks picks for Christmas 2019

Lilac and Thyme-Natural cosmetics manufactured in Northumberland.  Personally I have been using the Rosehip and Vitamin E oil and its lush! when I ordered this, I also ordered a small roll on perfume of the Bergamot and Sandalwood.....I am asking Santa for the full sized version!

(c) Lilac and Thyme 
 Studio Wald-Stationary-All things stationary including recipe books, diaries, to do lists....etc 


(c) Studio Wald
The Owlery prints-from tea towels, to bag, to lampshades to pinnys! (aprons to those not in the North...) 


(c) The Owlery Prints
Deborah Beck Jewellery- I bought a cuff from her in May and I just love it.


(c) Deborah Beck
Gary Thomas ceramics- I have shown with Gary twice at Saltaire.  I love a mug, Gary's remind me of being by the sea.  I have bought two mugs, there was a mug that got away, I am still not over it! did I mention I love a mug? 


(c) Gary Thomas 
Low Moon over high town-North east prints, lovely black and white images with block colours behind them.  I have my eye on a couple for my brothers...I dont think they read this blog! so it should still be a surprise.... Also sold in the Baltic shop-Gateshead.


(c) LMOHT
Cotfield Mirrors and mosaics- based in Gateshead at what was St Cuthberts Church Bensham, also a regular feature at the Quayside Market.  These are really one of a kind pieces-well worth a visit to there shop and cafe!


(c) Cotfield Mirrors and Mosaics
Before I start to "Babble" (geddit?!) I'd also like to thank everyone for reading, commenting and supporting our little blog.  It is indeed one year since Emma and I pulled a name, logo and set of "brand" colours together and put Babble + Yak out there.  We had fun coming up with the name; that particular session mostly involved me laughing, When Babble and Yak came along I became hysterical (self induced) that Emma sort of gave in, a wise decision and it really does sum up our daily cheer-leading on Whats-app.  We do just Babble and Yak on about anything and everything.

For me, Christmas is a time to slow the pace down.  It's a time to catch up with friends and family (I will see in actual real life Emma!) and I quite literally eat, drink and be merry.  Over the years we've paired down our gifts a fair bit.  I think we give more thoughtfully in terms of the gift itself and where it came from.  It's probably a bit unrealistic today to shop handmade or local for absolutely everything.  I've seen some great memes online recently which tell the reader that's its ok to be an imperfect recycler, vegan, sustainable shopper etc...the point being that if we all just do a little bit, make small changes, it will make a big difference.  The same goes for shopping local and supporting small in my opinion.  Do what you can, tag your gifts on social media as Emma mentioned above (I guarantee that a small business owner somewhere will do a happy dance-probably not Emma very restrained....) and share the love!

November 30th is also Small Business Saturday - why not tag @babbleandyak or @justacard  in your local or handmade purchases? we would love to see where you are shopping and what you are buying!

Here are some of my favourite makers for the festive season :)

Oakwood Soaperie - another local business which makes soaps, skincare and candles.  I've just bought some facial oil and it smells divine (as do all of the products!)



For The Love Of The North champion local artists, designers and makers and have shops in Corbridge, Whitley Bay and Newcastle.  If you are looking for a locally produced gift featuring local scenes or landmarks - this is the place to go.



Little Grey Illustrations creates intricate drawings of birds and British wildlife and pairs them beautifully with vintage paper ephemera



Hello Hooray makes colourful feel good embroideries, cards and kits! You cannot help but feel cheerful when you look through her shop and blog!



Wish Upon A Print designs and creates personalised illustrations and decor including these sweet wooden Christmas decorations.



Happy Shopping! 
Babble and Yak   

Emma's last show
2D3D Christmas art fair Edinburgh 7th and 8th December
Avaliable online at www.studiopinnock@yahoo.co.uk and on Etsy @studiopinnock

Jess's last show of the year is Etsy Made Local at Gosforth Trinity Church, Gosforth High Street.  Saturday November 30th from 10am - 4pm

After that it will be time to focus on commissions and think of Valentine's day (yep I said it...always have to think ahead).

You can buy online at Etsy www.jkinnersleytextiles.etsy.com or contact me directly via my website www.jessicakinnersleytextiles.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas shopping guide

How do you measure achievement?

Sorry, its been a while.....