March: Meet the maker

Yak:Emma
January dragged, February passed in a blink of an eye and here we are nearly at the end of March and I feel the (self imposed) pressure! Already I have applied for shows, been rejected and accepted, went out of my comfort zone and applied for Elmer's Great North parade (waiting on that...) booked in and done the prep for a workshop (30th March) finished a commission, got another one, attended two business meetings, worked through a couple of chapters of my business planner, sold a few prints, applied for a couple of jobs (rejected) read a finance book on being an artist and made so many lists I am running out of post-its! And that is all before life admin of doing a full time job, fitting in medical appointments, dealing with outcomes of appointments, meeting up with friends and family, going to Pilates and HIIT classes, paying bills and budgeting for hen-do's, holidays and weddings!


Commissioned piece-February 2019 (C) E Pinnock Cornwall.
Where does our time go?  2019 was all about the balance for me, and I am not sure I have started off well.  I keep telling myself that what I am doing now is preparing myself and my little business for the future.  Taking on more work now so I can be more considerate later on.  A reoccurring theme of my Dream Plan do Design trust meeting and the book real artists dont starve, is that this is your own journey.  You do what you need to on your own time scale.  When you are thinking about something, well just do it? if its what you thought and you're happy continue, if not, move on to something else.

planning/inspiration wall
Every creative goes on a journey (I get a shiver when I write that, but what else can you call it?) you have a starting point and then twists and turns, peaks and troughs, up and downs, highs and lows, thrills and spills (whatever you'd like to call it)  It is never easy, and never straight forward.  Perhaps journey isn't the right word? when making, painting, drawing I dont ever seem to get to an end point.  For me its more of a resolution or taking stock at a certain moment as the work moves forward developing into something else.  Flicking on a switch that changes your mindset or idea or product into something that at the start you could never have thought of.

Joanne Hawker-meet the maker prompts 2019


If you would like a little insight into my journey, or Jess' or a whole host of other creatives then there's no better time than March! Head over to Instagram and using the hashtag #marchmeetthemaker2019 you will find a whole host of creatives responding to the prompts above.  Created by Joanne Hawker, its a lovely visual documentation of what we do, why we do it, how we do it and a few randoms thrown in for good luck!  I know that its opened me up and given me a little time to reflect and remember work I have made, make my goals clearer and introduce me to new followers and fellow makers.  Some that I have started following are.... a study of objects, Lomas and Lomas, Cats and cart wheels, Kirby recipes and maggie magoo designs.

Studio Pinnock day 10 Meet the maker-You.


 March has been a month of thinking, I have been thinking a lot at the moment and for a over thinker, that can be tiring! Workshop on Saturday 30th then hopefully Sunday 31st a really quiet restful day....when Sunderland win the Checkatrade trophy final! Ha'way the lads!

Since writing this, Jess had some exciting news!! she has her own studio space! I am so pleased for her and no doubt she will post about it soon.

Emma-Yak

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas shopping guide

How do you measure achievement?

Sorry, its been a while.....