Lockdown lowdown.

Babble:Jess

Emma's entry below this one, was written at the end of July.  I was supposed to add my section but found myself rather unmotivated in August and it's taken a while to pick things up again throughout September...Well, I say unmotivated, I think back in August, I'd finally resigned myself (happily I might add, after lots of worry and frustration) to just enjoying the last few weeks of the summer with my kids.  I was giddy at the freedom we suddenly had after months of lockdown (which was mostly just me and the kids.  My husband works for the NHS and has worked some long-ass days since March.  I feel like I puff up with pride for him and all of our NHS and key workers when we talk about these past few months...anyway I'm going off topic! Back to giddy freedom...) We visited beaches, parks, castles and took Milo on many a woodland walk.  I even splurged on a trip to the aquarium.  This outdoorsiness was also admittedly partly driven by the fact that Mr Kinnersley had to shield for two weeks during the summer, prior to a hospital visit and we made ourselves scarce most days so he could work from home.  When he was allowed out again and had annual leave, we explored beautiful Northumberland.

Hareshaw Linn

Rumbling Kern

It was a fairly contented month.  I was outdoors through the day and sewing memory bears by night, which leads me onto my next "bit" about accidentally diversifying, which so many big and small businesses have had to do.


Making memory bears came about by accident because I made one for my son, a primary school leaver, and shared on social media.  I received a few orders which saw me through the summer and because I was following a formula, the task demanded little of my creative energy.  I simply took pleasure in the making; piecing those little stuffed teds together and thinking, "I made this!".

"If you don't make time for your wellness, you will be forced to make time for your illness" 

One particular article I read at the beginning of September really resonated with me.  It talked of Surge Capacity (click here to read).  It really drove home to me that is valid to be feeling like you're on a no-end-in-sight emotionally, mentally and physically draining rollercoaster at the moment...whatever our situations.  There will be ups and downs and this second (local) lockdown is feeling like more of a slog than the first.  

The past few months have brought about stomach churning, sleep interrupting, butt clenching worry.  "What will my tiny biz look like in a year? Will I still be going next year?"  I didn't bury my head in sand so to speak, but I realised fairly early on that I was going to have to get my head down and literally take it one day at a time otherwise I would make myself ill.  I stopped trying to think too far in ahead (which goes against the nature of a small business when you usually try to plan a little in advance) and am still chunking my tasks right down.  

Creativity will come in time, which leads me to my final thought; we need to be a little kinder to ourselves. The light at the end of the proverbial tunnel still seems quite dim but we will eventually emerge.  I for one hope I remember some of my lessons learned over the past few months...take time, be kind.




Stay safe, much love
Jess x

Yak:Emma 

This morning was spent taking part in a HMRC webinar on making tax digital for the self employed, and people think working for yourself is all lie ins, wearing pj's and doing what you want when you want.  Being a creative who's self employed is not just about making a piece of art or a product.  You have to be an advertiser, a marketer, an accountant (least favourite) administrator, motivator, sales person, promoter, packer, supplier, deliverer-that's a lot of hats to wear before putting pencil to paper.  I am not sure I suit hats, I can sometimes get a away with a Santa one on a boxing day fixture but generally, its a struggle.

Postcard application for Nottingham wildlife trust competition 


During lock-down it has been even more of a struggle.  People have been furloughed, lost income and employment, shows have been cancelled, money lost, workshops cancelled, shops closed, suppliers closed and the increasing demand on the postal service have all had a impact on what we do.  I am not complaining, I am still here, still making, still earning some income and apart from last week (not Covid but not sure what it was) I am well-and that is saying a lot, for which I am very thankful (says a little prayer, touches wood, crosses fingers) Yes I miss my family and friends, I would love to be by the sea and I feel like I am uninspired as I haven't been able to go further than a 5 mile radius from the flat, but for me the lock-down has brought with it some positives.  

Fletcher Moss Park-daily walk destination
I have been able to spend some time updating my website, and have come to the decision that next year I want a new one.  I have taken part in a collaboration with Jason Sandy a mud-lark on Instagram to produce a piece of work I wouldn't normally do.  

Fragments-lino cut-taken from a collection of pieces of ceramic found on the bank of the Thames

I have entered a couple of competitions, been able to spend some quality time refining a design that I have wanted to do for ages been able to read some books, walk daily, continue with Pilates and be more in control of my time.  I am trying to take some positives from this, and use it as a reset button, figuring out what is important to me both in business and in my self.  

Work in progress for Sequested art prize-portrait completed in lock-down 
I hope that Lock-down for you has had it positive moments within the dark, its a really odd time. 


Yak:Emma 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas shopping guide

Sorry, its been a while.....

How do you measure achievement?