2020 has been a tough year....what do you mean its only May?!

Emma: Yak
Well, my wall planner purchase in January was a waste of money! (Unless you think it's useful to know when I have done Pilates, been out for my daily walk or when I planned to food shop).  2020 has definitely not been our year for many reasons, and I don't really wish to dwell on it, other than to say that I really hope you're well, and keeping yourself and family safe.  

Without beating around the bush, its been tough financially and mentally for me.  I will not bore you with the details but one thing I do take away from this, is just how lucky I am to have the family and friends that I do, who have supported me through this time.  I have been fortunate enough to be asked to produce two pieces of work also.  Focusing on something other than the (social media/self imposed) pressure to 'better myself' during this time.  


   
I have also made a bit of time to develop some new pieces, re-think an old print that will hopefully be a new screen print by the end of the year and work on my website.  I was disappointed to have a number of shows cancelled this year, I am hopeful for the Christmas events but we just dont know.  

Hand on heart, how many people knew what zoom was in February?  I certainly didn't, but now it's there letting me continue with Pilates (with Cordelia) and speak to some of my favourite faces.  The  increase in creative initiatives and programs online have also helped me through some rough days.  I will share some below, but honestly, if you're just doing what you need to do, to get through this, then that's all you need (and wash your hands!)



Art initiatives/competitions
Artist support Pledge-I have taken part, and will be adding more work under this scheme in the coming weeks 
The Sequested prize-portraits created in isolation Closing date 30th June 2020
Live well with Cancer patchwork blanket 
Programs to watch 
Sewing Bee is back! 
Paint along live-portrait artist of the year on sky arts
The national Live-some brilliant productions-for free! 
Podcasts I listen to-mainly on my walks....
Sh*gged married annoyed-partly for the accents, mostly for the laughs (link for spotify also on acast here
The great women artists podcast 


Jess: (Still Babbling!)
Hello there, how is everyone doing?  A lot has changed since we last wrote a blog and what a rollercoaster these past few weeks have been! 

I hope you are keeping well in these unprecedented and often unsettling times. Are you settling into a new rhythm?  Finding it difficult some days, or perhaps taking some time to pause and reflect?  I've had a few up and down days, as have many others that I've spoken to. 

My motivation upped and left for a time and we all had to settle into a new daily "routine" (I use the term loosely!).  With my husband working long days at the hospital and the kids having to stay home to be  "schooled" (another term I'm going to use loosely!), my focus shifted away from making and just taking things one day at a time.  I did however, find solace in a sketchbook...

I decided, at the end of March, to run a sketchbook prompt challenge on my social media.  I want to share these prompts for you here, in case you are looking for a little creative outlet, or want to set aside a little time for yourself every day and are perhaps uncertain as to where to begin.

I started this at the beginning of April as a way of ensuring that I was doing something creative every day, even if it was only for ten or fifteen minutes.  Unable to work in my studio and with all of my events and teaching cancelled, I felt at a bit of a loss and wanted to share and spread some creative joy! I never really expected a lot of people to join in but in grew legs and it was great to have a "sketchbook-along" of sorts and meet new creatives along the way, as we all shared our sketchbook pages.  

Importantly the prompts are free to access and you don't need a ton of fancy art materials to join in.  Each prompt is accompanied by a short, helpful video and all of the videos are saved on my social media profiles (see below for the links) so you can access them at your own pace and leisure.  


If you would like to give the prompts a go, enjoy some time "playing" in a sketchbook and try out a few new skills and techniques, simply visit my Facebook page, or Instagram profile and scroll to access each saved video. (If you have any questions at all about the prompts please don't hesitate to get in touch!)

Finally, we just wanted to give a massive shout out and thanks to our key workers, especially to those people in the NHS who normally work under extreme pressures, and yet stepped it up again, when we need it most.  Keep an eye on Emma's Instagram, she will be doing a NHS/carers give away before the end of the month! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas shopping guide

How do you measure achievement?

Sorry, its been a while.....