Its the most wonderful time of the year......

Yak:Emma

I think that its fairly safe to say that most makers (including crafters and artists-I am just using the one word for convenience) have a peak selling time, and that for most makers, their peak time is the run up to Christmas.  I applied for my Edinburgh Christmas show in May, my November show shortly afterwards.  Me and Jess have been talking, thinking, and planning Christmas really, since the summer.  

For the best part of last week I have been home home.  I walked by the sea, always a head clearer, worked on some new screen prints and if I am honest watched a few (too many according to my Dad and Jess) Christmas films.  Now I am not talking your 'classic' Christmas films like Elf, the Grinch or a Wonderful life but Christmas at Pemberley Manor, A Very Country Christmas and my most recent watch; Switched at Christmas.  You may laugh, roll your eyes or judge, or think what has this got to do with being a maker but bear with me I will explain!

Seaburn beach-a favourite of mine-Sunderland


1- Christmas films generally start with the main actor working too hard, head down, blinkers on, focused on one thing and one thing only.  Perhaps its that deal for the ski resort in the mountains, or to sell the family home to a corporation for them to build condos.  For us makers its Christmas, Christmas, Christmas.  It's all we can think about!  

2-You can bet your bottom dollar that something will go wrong.  In films it's usually travel arrangements, deals falling through, crops not yielding at the poinsettia farm (who knew?) with us makers, it's problems with the screen for printing, the car failing its MOT or realising after you've designed and ordered Christmas cards your promo voucher has expired. 

3-Love. There is so much love in a Christmas film it glows from every fairy light, glistens with every drop of fake snow and is poured over every cookie expertly decorated by perfectly dressed individuals in stunningly bedazzled homes.  To do what we do, we must love it; like, really, really love it.  We also couldn't do it with out the people who love and support us all year round.

Hand painted ceramic baubles by Emma-Usually painted in September

4-Reflection.  The main character realises that they need to do what they love whatever the cost.  Live in a place that makes them happy, and be around those people who really matter.  Personally, I am  currently reflecting on the fact that as I write this, there are only 56 sleeps until Christmas. As you are reading this, it will be less.   

January is generally considered to be a time of reflection, but I always find this period on the run up to Christmas equally so.  In the teachings of an actual classic, a Christmas Carol, (or Scrooged for the 80's kids amongst us) what would our lives be like if we weren't doing what we love? If we didn't have the people around us that we do? if we hadn't taken the risk in May for that show in December? hadn't invested so much time and money into doing what we do? I know that I wouldn't be in a happier place no matter how bad the bad days are.  

Screen print of Emma's Lino repeat of Edinburgh 

What I/we should take from these films is that taking the decision to hold off on things that I/we can afford more in time and money in the new year isn't a bad thing. It doesn't mean that I/we have failed.  Breaks to enjoy the festivities going on around us and spending time with the people who matter, help us both mentally and physically get through the dark nights, literally and metaphorically.  Perhaps most importantly, we shouldn't let the guilt of taking a step back, or the inevitable pressure get to us, I know, easier said than done.  

So Its 17:30 and dark outside,I am heading out to Pilates after spending the day on the computer ordering new postcards, cards and Christmas cards.  Before I do that i'l be adding a 'Knight before Christmas' to my Netflix's list knowing that I will no doubt need reminding of what I have written here over the next few weeks..... Emma.

Babble: Jess

I'm going to be honest, I often feel like I lurch from one task to the next at this time of year and never quite feel like I have anything ready or in shops on time.  I go from getting the kids back to school, to panic-making in one fell swoop.  Add to that a couple of car-less weeks and half term at home and you have one fairly twitchy looking Jess.  However!  I will add a point 5 to Emma's Christmas film analogy and that is...

5-The Happy Ending.  Christmas comes regardless and everything inevitably turns out OK in the end. whether you've burnt the chipolatas (forgot they were in the oven-true story) or actually managed to pull out all the stops it is always OK.  This point is all about getting a bit of perspective on things.  Whether the stock is in the shops at the end of September or the end of October; it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. What does matter is not feeling strung out and exhausted, taking time for yourself and enjoying the company of the ones we love.   Credit yourself for the things you have achieved instead of thinking of all the things you haven't yet done!  I've really enjoyed being at home this week with the kids, even though I've had to hose the dog down every.single.day. after his morning walk and get everyone to change their trousers and socks.  At Christmas we will have an array of chairs of all shapes and sizes around the dining table, we will squeeze around it and just be together (the dog will be clean, dry and drooling under said table)...and that is what is important.

6-The epilogue...okay so I've added another one in too! What happens this time next year? Well, as makers and small business owners we are always working, living and learning.  So maybe next year I will be more organised and start Christmas in June!  I've just invested in a shiny new planner from Nicola Taylor, who runs The Makers Business Toolkit and I am genuinely looking forward to working in it next year.  She talk very sensibly about setting achievable goals and creating good working habits and for the list maker in me, has some fantastic worksheets inside the planner.  Lets see where I am with my organisation this time next year!
My new Maker's Yearbook

Love and jingly baubles

Emma and Jess x




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas shopping guide

How do you measure achievement?

Sorry, its been a while.....