Rejection

Yak: Emma 

Rejection is one of those things that everyone experiences.  the fear of rejection probably has some roots in early caveman behaviour, but I am not a scientist or Anthropologist (I hope that's the right "ist"?) but I am human and I have felt rejection.   Whether its a job, a partner, social or familial its guaranteed we will all feel rejection at some point.  

In life you have to take risks and this fear of failure is part of that risk, you have to make yourself vulnerable and put yourself out there.  At the beginning of the year I did that.

I decided to enter in to an open call, for a design to cover a Elmer the Elephant as part of the Great North parade for St Oswalds Hospice in Newcastle.  The brief was very open and part of my plan for 2019 was to take that leap, push myself and my work further.  The idea came together quickly, if I am honest probably too quickly for me to judge it good enough.  I went round in circles for a couple of weeks sketching out ideas, making lists and just generally over thinking it when I had what I needed in front of me.  So I tidied it up, filled out the paper work and sent it in not really thinking too much about it, just happy in the knowledge that I had done it.  



Close up of Elmer design


As much as we would like everything to go our way, its just not how the universe works.  After a few weeks I started to hear of people being rejected on social media, sharing their designs and upset at not being taken further.  I started to check my emails, my spam folders, nope I hadn't heard anything.  I didn't want to believe that I had been shortlisted.  I only knew really that I had, a few more weeks later when I got the final rejection email.  

For a moment I felt physical pain, you might think me dramatic, (if you know me, you know I am not) but I was actually gutted.  I felt that I had let myself down, the few people who knew I had applied down, the kids in my life down, everybody down.  For those who know me personally, you can agree that I am a massive over-thinker.  Rejection is something that has in the past, led me down the rabbit hole but I was lucky this time, or perhaps it was the universe stepping in but I didn't have time to think about it.  I had an evening with Hugh Jackman (I am not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that) and in the morning a drive to Saltaire for my first show of 2019.  


Saltaire Arts Trail booklet, customers purchases-including new Brain lino print with foil detail


Saltaire arts trail and makers fair is a show that I have now done 3 times, a show that I love to do, and a show has also rejected me in the past.  Meeting one of the organisers randomly at another event later in the year after the rejection we briefly talked about my work and how in the last 12 months it hadn't moved on.  It was a fair comment.  I had been thinking the same myself.  That year I had taken on a lot of commission work I did not have time to develop other pieces.  The rejection made me plan, my work developed massively and I know I came back stronger.    
Studio Pinnock stand Saltaire 2019

When applying for art events, or selling at art shows we always question ourselves and our work.  will I get in?  Will it sell? will people like it? everyone has the need to be wanted, accepted and loved.  When you're making a piece of art work that is an extension of you, your ideas or thoughts on paper or fabric is personal.  Rejection of these ideas leads to a slew of emotions ranging from confusion, anger and sadness.  Rejection doesn't respond to reason, and not having a reason for the rejection can make it worse.  Internalising negative thoughts damages our self esteem.   

A few things that I have learnt that helps me are;

-Talking to a like minded person who knows you, I have some great sounding boards out there! 

-Ask for feedback; I have never received it mind, but it makes me feel like I have done everything I can

-Visit the show/exhibition/event you have been rejected from.  You might see for yourself that you weren't the right fit or see what they are looking for.

-Try try and try again! there is an event that I have applied for 4 times!! I wont name it, but do you know what its OK.  I know I am not what they are looking for and they are not what I am looking for.  

-As difficult as it can be; do try to keep on keeping on.  Continue to apply for the events, open calls, jobs etc, that appeal to you.  You will become more familiar and hopefully confident when writing about yourself/your work.  They may not all be meant to be but they are all good experience.  Jess also applied for Elmer, and Masham and didn't get either, but did get a workspace when she applied.  Third time lucky?  

-Tell yourself, its not you, there is nothing wrong with you or your work.  Be confident in what you do.  With Elmer I loved the design, I loved what I had come up with and I am proud of that. 



Customers comment on social media-and candle shade purchased








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas shopping guide

How do you measure achievement?

Sorry, its been a while.....